Maple Ridge Township
The township was established in 1869 and included Dalbo and Stanchfield.
Mail was carried by stage from Cambridge to the Day and Maple Ridge Post Offices. Day later moved a mile and a half north to a crossroads at the center of Section 5. The first Day School (No. 19) was also located in Section 18. In the 1890’s it moved to Section 8 and became No. 50.
While the Lewis Lake Post office was in Maple Ridge Township, the lake by that name is just across the border in Kanabec County.
H. A. Lory, from New England, bought the land around the lake that bears his name and developed the natural cranberry bog there into a commercial operation for a number of years.
Early settlers to Maple Ridge were the Wrights, Lunnys and Ushers. Among the first Swedish settlers were the A. D. Sholbergs, Sigfried Andersons, Eric Olsons and Henry Johnsons. Their journey to America from Venjan in the province of Dalarna, Sweden is recounted in an article entitled “A Letter From One Generation to Another,” written by Olof Olson, a son of Eric.
- No. 26-Hiawatha (or Conger), 11
- No. 28-Washington (or Oberg), 26
- No. 50-Day, 8
Churches and Cemeteries:
- Swedish Lutheran Church (and Cemetery, 31 (Salem)
- Swedish Lutheran Church (and Cemetery, 9 (Siloa)
- Swedish Mission Church and Cemetery, 12 (North Maple Ridge Covenant)
- Swedish Mission Church and Cemetery, 28 (South Maple Ridge Covenant)
- Day Post Office, 18
- Lewis Lake Post Office, 6
- Maple Ridge Post Office, 11
- Blacksmith Shop, 2
- Feed Mill, 11
- Saw Mill, 2
The historical comments regarding each township is taken from Minerva Hixson’s Yesterdays as well as from other documents and records at the Isanti County Historical Society.