Oxford Township was a part of North Branch until 1878 when it became a separate entity. It is a small township, having only 24 sections. The southern part of Township 34N lies in Anoka County.
Like North Branch it had some of the earliest settlers in the county, particularly in the eastern part. Three post offices are still indicated on the 1898 map-Cushman, Oxford and Hewson. Stephen Hewson was a Methodist minister, postmaster, Judge of Probate, County Board clerk, auditor and state legislator.
The Shorrocks, Grants and Pierces were other early settlers prior to the influx of Swedish immigrants. The Lillegrens, Bellins, Borgs, Larsons and Tanglunds were among the earliest Swedes.
- No. 5-Oak View, 14
- No. 43-Oxford, 3
- No. 47-Oakland, 18
Churches and Cemeteries:
- Swedish Free Mission Church, 9 (Church is no longer in existence but there is a cemetery across the road.)
- Swedish Lutheran Church (and Cemetery), 3 (Salem)
- Cushman Post Office, 10
- Hewson Post Office, 12
- Oxford Post Office, 21
- Store, 3
The historical comments regarding each township is taken from Minerva Hixson’s Yesterdays as well as from other documents and records at the Isanti County Historical Society.