Spencer Brook Township
There were a number of settlers in Spencer Brook during the mid-1850’s, all from New England. The first school district was organized about 1860 and the township was established about 1867.
The township is named for Benjamin Spencer, who came to the area in 1855. He was followed by the Iliffs, Cloughs, Staddens, Mackenzies, Donnellys and Scanlans. The Kings, Nichols’, Bartons, Cleverlys, Walkers, Howards and Ellingwoods were also early settlers.
The Rum Rive divides the township. A ferry just north of Spencer Brook was established in 1870. A ferry just north of Spencer Brook was established in 1870. A bridge that was built in 1874 was demolished by ice the following spring.
The brook itself begins in Tennyson (or Lund) Lake and empties into the Rum River just north of the village. The brook was dammed for the grist mill, and the millpond was a popular recreation area for the residents of Spencer Brook.
Dave Clough, who grew up in Spencer Brook, later became the thirteenth governor of Minnesota in 1893.
- No. 1-Spencer Brook, 15
- No. 11-Washington, 3
- No. 12-Prescott, 8
- No. 37-Chapman, 27
- No. 46-King, 6
Churches and Cemeteries:
- Baptist Church (Spencer Brook), 15
- M. E. Church (Spencer Brook Methodist), 15
- Swedish Cong. Church, 24
- Cemetery, 17 (Clough)
- Cemetery, 10 (King)
- Cemetery, 14 (Nichols or Nicholas)
- Bradford Post Office (See also Bradford Township, Section 18)
- Spencer Brook Post Office, 15
- Grist Mill, 15
- Indian Mound, 20
The historical comments regarding each township is taken from Minerva Hixson’s Yesterdays as well as from other documents and records at the Isanti County Historical Society.