Springvale Township was established in 1870 and included Bradford for a time. The first settlers came to the area of Walbo in the mid-1860’s. Among them were Ole Wicklund, Ole Lindquist, D. H. Findell, Eric Molin, John Wallin, John Eklund, A.Westblad and H. August Reineccius.
The Rum River travels through the township from southwest to northwest, and Stanchfield Creek joins the river in Section 23. A ferry was established in 1873 at Walbo and by 1898 there was a bridge, referred to as the Findell Bridge.
A brick yard in Section 13 produced yellow-toned bricks that were used in the construction of a number of homes in the area as well as in the West Riverside School.
The community of Springvale was established in the late 1860’s. Early settlers there were Daniel Bodfors, Jonas Dahlin, Peter Mattson, Hans Forsell, the Geseliuses, and the Ossels. A dam on Stanchfield Creek (or Tise Creek as it was sometimes called) furnished power of a saw and flour mill.
Erick Bjorklund built a carding mill at a place called Good Hope Point on Stanchfield Creek in the 1880’s. It was the forerunner of the Cambridge Woolen Mills.
- No. 16-Walbo, 27
- No. 29-Franklin, 11
- No. 44-West Springvale, 5
- No. 51- Pine Brook, 30
Churches and Cemeteries:
- Swedish Baptist and Cemetery, 12 (Springvale Baptist)
- Springvale Post Office, 2
- Walbo Post Office, 27
- Blacksmith Shops, 4, 13, 28
- Brickyard, 13
- Planing Mill, 2
- Sawmill, 10
- Stores, 2, 28
The historical comments regarding each township is taken from Minerva Hixson’s Yesterdays as well as from other documents and records at the Isanti County Historical Society.